Saturday, September 17, 2016

Oh Dear, What a very colicky baby you were!

God's Boys will be good boys!
I am grateful to have been able to be there for your many stuggles with your belly. I know that each child has their weaknesses. I have had my moments with each of you on different physical ailments that seemed not to want to go away. Yours was with constipation. You went once a week, if that and it was so hard for you and you were a nursing baby. The doctor said it wasn't that unusual to have tummy problems in a baby. It seemed strange to me. He said for me to move your body for you, in the beginning. To make your body more able to get it out. This seemed to give you some relief.

I am starting with a whole group of boys, this time around, at the daycare. This carries my mind to the challenges of mothering my own little fellows. The one who left us too soon and then you and the ones we were blessed to keep. This week we had a challenge of diaper rash ointment. I hate that stuff. I had to put some on that was medicated and this was especially a challenge for the wandering fingers of curiosity in a boy. The physical challenge of keeping my hands doing what I needed to do and keep a little fellows fingers from getting ointment into his mouth. It is a real feeling of encouragement that my sports reflexes translate into a useful form for some good. It was like juggling and challenging my mental and physical abilities. Then, just when I thought I had the challenge in control, another little one was curious to climb onto the changing table to see the festivities. ACHHHHHHHH!

Guiding them with my eyes and my voice is not always an option. I only have 2 hands and the little ones seem to have 10 hands and swift, precocious intentions. I don't think any of them got the ointment into their faces, but my heart was in my mouth at each changing of the rashy boys. Teach your children to heed your first words to them, if you can. It is safest this way.

No comments: