Saturday, June 27, 2009

If I were Michael Jackson, what wouldn't I do?

God's Boys will be good boys!

When Michael Jackson came on the scene, my dad gave us a long talking to about the direction of that lifestyle. Frankie Lymon had come before him and died a young death of a drug overdose. Live fast and large, die fast and big, was the lesson in the nutshell. We heard it over and over. I don't care how talented you are. There are certain things that are more important than having the world at your feet.
That poor little boy, dad would say. I don't envy him. I do, I said under my breath. When he didn't die at 20, we had won our case. See, dad, you were wrong again. Life is different now. A person can live with the sun and the moon and be a person and famous and talented and dance. Okay, he conceded, still watch, was the warning.

We watched and we listened and we danced to the music. Poor Michael, public person, public scandals, public life, no privacy, no life. Everybody clawing at a piece of his carcass, before death. It wasn't pretty. Ravens always around his half dead face and half living body and finally death. Now are the ravens happy?
Dance, my boy. Dance and be alive. Don't seek the limelight, be thrilled by the monotony of conformity to Christ. Don't seek the limelight, be thrilled by the monotony of committed love. A little money in the bank everyday. A little loving expression to those around you daily is far greater an account in the long run than a concert at Madison Square Garden. Learn to be thrilled with the day to day. Learn to shun the fawning of the fake and the famous. Live and laugh and entertain the most important people and Love with your heart!

No comments: